GUMSHOE One-2-One

GUMSHOE One-2-One is a system for designing and playing investigative roleplaying games and adventures for one player and one Game Moderator (GM). Together, you create a story that evokes the classic solo protagonist mystery format.

In a GUMSHOE One-2-One game, the player character discovers something which triggers their investigation, and then the (GM) guides them through a number of scenes, during which they use their Investigative Abilities to gather the core clues they need to move the narrative forward. They must then put the clues together to uncover the secrets behind the mystery.

GUMSHOE One-2-One links and resources

GUMSHOE One-2-One Games

Any RPG which uses the GUMSHOE One-2-One system redefines it for that setting, and so there is no “GUMSHOE One-2-One book”. Each of the RPGs below contains the full GUMSHOE One-2-One rules for creating characters and playing in that world, as well as guidance on designing your own investigations for that particular setting.

Follow the links below to find out about our GUMSHOE One-2-One games:

49 Responses to “GUMSHOE One-2-One”

1. Phil Francis says:

I had a text from my wife on the 3rd September asking me to buy her this very product. So how soon can we expect a kickstarter / pre-order?

I’m certainly looking forward to being able to play this (especially as I’m confident that my wife’s mind is devious enough to set some very challenging mysteries!

• Cat Tobin says:

Hey Phil,

We’ve hit some production issues with it, but we’re hoping this will be available by October 2016.

• Johan says:

Looking forward to this! It’s now November 2016. Any news on the progress of this project?

• Cat Tobin says:

Hey Johan, this is currently in layout – we’re hoping to release a special Dragonmeet edition of this at Dragonmeet in early December, and it will be available to pre-order in time for Christmas.

2. […] …although I didn’t come to that conclusion until I saw this bit at the main page: […]

3. Zack says:

This is right up my alley. I’m a huge fan of playing Gumshoe one-on-one already, and a whole book on the subject sounds incredibly promising. Please do keep us informed.

4. Erik O says:

Hello. I wrote a mail about a month ago expressing interest in playtesting this but I havn’t heard anything yet… So, I was just wondering how things are going?

/ Erik

5. […] exciting to me is Gumshoe One-2-One, an adaptation of the core system for one-player, one-GM roleplaying. As my friends continue their […]

6. Is this a twist on Toy Gumshoe? I’m interested in both but I’ve not read hide nor tail of Toy Gumshoe since Simon’s initial write-up.

Please Cat, Simon or Robin comment, why no Toy Gumshoe info?

7. John Potts says:

I’m anxiously awaiting the next phase in playtesting. My wife and I really enjoyed the first one. I realized that the thing I would really want added to the rulebook are rules for converting regular GUMSHOE adventures to One-2-One adventures. This would allow me to finally put a lot of adventures to use that I haven’t had a chance to play yet.

8. Noel says:

I’m looking forward to the play by mail possibilities!

9. rogue_lettuce says:

Hey, I’d really like to get in on the playtesting of this if that’s still a possibility? I’m not sure how we’re supposed to go about applying for such things… Thanks!

10. Jim Pyre says:

This looks awesome. I can’t want to see it. Still hoping it will be out in 2016.
    Take my money!! 😊

11. chris says:

Is there an ETA for the PDF only version?

12. Andrea Coletta says:

Finally!!!
    The PDF seems great. Looking forward to receive the physical copy.
    Can I use my “Cop Talking” or “Bureaucracy” Investigative Ability to gain a clue about the location of the shorter One-2-One scenario, “The Red Mist.” (cfr. Pag. 5 of the Core Manual)?

• Cat Tobin says:

Hey Andrea, a 1-point Bureaucracy spend reminds you that the few days after we release See Page XX are always a little hectic, but we usually have everything sorted by a week later, so check the One-2-One Resources page on December 14th to get “The Red Mist”.

13. David Creuze says:

Hi!
    I’m loving the book, but seems like there are some bugs in it, like letters disappearing. I’m not sure if it’s the book itself or my system though, as I’m using linux. Could it be a font problem?
    Thanks!

14. David Creuze says:

All good now, thanks!

15. Rebecca says:

I pre-ordered at Cool Stuff Inc. Any update on when the physical books will be sent out?

16. Arnaud says:

Still nous news on a release date for the printed version?
    It’s been postponed so many times I’m getting nervous :)

• Cat Tobin says:

Sorry about the delay! We’re hoping to finalise the (very revised!) version this week, close the pre-order in mid-March and have it in stores in mid-April.

17. Andrew says:

Also interested in when the physical book will be available. Weren’t some sold at Dragonmeet?

• Cat Tobin says:

We did have some at Dragonmeet, which were very early preview copies. The finished book will have a new additional chapter, as well as a number of copyediting fixes.

• Scott says:

Assume the PDF gets updated – is one usually notified by email when that happens?

• Cat Tobin says:

The updated PDF will be added to everyone’s bookshelf, and we’ll send out an email to all pre-orderers to notify them of the new version.

18. Kevin McD says:

Any news on the ship date for the physical book?

19. Joonas I says:

So, physical book around mid-April and Simon says that PDF only would be around month after that. So that would be in May? This is so long time to wait…

20. Seokwan Chung says:

Seems like mid-April is getting to late-April! Any news on shipping of physical books, please? Reading PDF is not my taste – I was scratching my pad’s screen!

• Alex Roberts says:

Yes, there’s nothing like the printed word! Copies will ship from our warehouses before the end of April.

• David Creuze says:

What about the PDF by the way ? Has it been updated ?

Can’t wait to have the book in my hands !

• Andrew Craker says:

Hi Alex,

Any idea when we can expect to see it arrive in Australia ?

Cheers, Drew

• Alex Roberts says:

Hi Andrew,

Shipments to Australia can take up to two months to arrive. So, it could be as late as early July. Please let us know if it takes longer than that!

-Alex

21. Diane Donaldson says:

I got my printed copy a couple days back and I love it! Great product, as usual!

In case you’re collecting errata, the text on page 8 of the printed edition is missing. It is in the PDF, however.

-Diane

• Alex Roberts says:

Hi Diane,

Glad you’re enjoying it! And yes, unfortunately, we caught that error only after the books had gone to print. The PDF has been corrected.

-Alex

[[Edited to remove misleading content]]

22. […] Cthulhu Confidential, Pelgrane Press, 2016 – editor Buy it here Colonial Gothic: Lovecraft, Rogue Games, 2015 – co-author Buy it here Green & Pleasant […]