Shards of the Broken Sky

Flying realm down!13th Age Roleplaying Game sandbox adventure for player characters level 1-7 (and a bit beyond).

When the flying realm of Vantage crashes to earth in the Dragon Empire, a long-kept secret is revealed: it was the control point for magical wards that kept a dozen ancient evils in check.

The icons have offered you rival opportunities for glory, plunder, and/or heroic sacrifice in Vantage. Will you rescue its survivors? Restore its magical wards? Or loot everything that isn’t nailed down while trying to stay one step ahead of the apocalypse?

Use Shards of the Broken Sky however you like: as an entire campaign in and around this fallen flying realm, a one-shot or mini-arc, or a source of new races, monsters, and magic items! If you run it as a campaign, the characters’ icon relationships will shape the plot, NPCs, and locations, keeping the story relevant to their backstories and goals. You’ve played through once? Enter the Shards sandbox again with new PCs—it’s never the same adventure twice.

Shards of the Broken Sky includes:

• A full 13th Age campaign for characters level 1-7
  • 100 new monsters including thunder orc, dark druid, glass spider, elite wizard, and goblin wolfrider
  • Icon-specific monster abilities to customize agents of the Prince of Shadows
  • 14 new magic treasures including Shard of Frozen Lightning, Glowing Rune-Carved Pebble, and Crystal Blade
  • Three new optional PC races: lava dwarf, oozefolk, and ophidian

Designers & Developers: ASH LAW, Rob Heinsoo, Paul Fanning

Art Direction: ASH LAW, Rob Heinsoo, Cathriona Tobin

Art: Pascal Quidault, Gislaine Avila, Wagner Chrissante, Lauren Covarrubias, Rich Longmore, Dagmara Matuszak, Jeremy McHugh, Ernanda Souza

Cartography: ASH LAW, Gill Pearce, Christina Trani

Stock #: PEL13A19 Pages: 232 pages, case bound, B&W

Pre-order now

43 Responses to “Shards of the Broken Sky”

1. Patrick Leder says:

What is the timeline for publishing this? How long will it be?

2. Eric says:

How is this still not released???

3. Gothire says:

Any update on the timing of this? Don’t recall hearing anything about it in quite awhile.

4. Gabriel says:

Where is this adventure ? 13th age has so much potential and you guys are so slow to make supplements …

5. Lerik says:

Hey guys! This adventure seems awesome, and I’ve been brought here by Into the Underdark, the end of which points to Shards of the Broken Sky as a follow-up. Any idea of when this will be available? I’d probably buy it in a heartbeat!

6. Michael says:

I’m looking forward to this adventure (as I do to all 13th Age releases). Here’s hoping it’s as good as Eyes of the Stone Thief, my favorite adventure of all time! Any more news on the status?

7. Pierluigi Vispi says:

I have noticed on the 13th menu bar that Shards of the Broken Sky is non longer listed. It has been canceled?

• Cat Tobin says:

Hey Pierluigi, Shards is listed as a Forthcoming product, but as we don’t have a release date for it, we decided to move it from the sidebar, which is for completed projects.

8. Michael says:

How long is the adventure? Not in page count, but in terms of levels covered/number of sessions?

• Alex Roberts says:

Hi Michael! Sorry for the lateness of my reply. I checked in with Ash and Rob and they had this to say: “There are three or four mini-adventures at level 1-2. And four adventures at 3-4 and four more at 5-6, followed by 2 adventures at 7 or so and a couple at 8-10. When we playtested it, it took us 12 months (around 50 sessions iirc), but that was without accelerated level-up and investigating/interacting with everything. With accelerated level-up maybe 10-15 sessions.” Hope that helps!

Cheers,
      Alex

• Michael says:

That is a much more detailed response than I was expecting! Thanks for getting into the nitty-gritty. I suppose it would be too much to ask for, but is there an official release date yet, or is it still in “whenever we clear the 13th Age logjam” mode?

9. Kyle says:

Is there anything in the que ahead of this? Any update? Was behind Book of Demons, right? It’s been 4.5 years.

• Colleen Riley says:

We hope to get it out later this year and there will be info regarding upcoming 13th Age books in the next issue of See Page XX.

• Pierluigi says:

Hello,
        please release it soon! We all have expecting it eagerly for years. I have nearly concluded my third campaign with 13th Age and I need strongly a new one, since unfortunately I have no time (and ideas) to create one from scratch. Thanks

10. Kyle says:

Great, thanks!

11. Michael says:

I’ll be starting a new 13th Age campaign in May or June. Any chance that this adventure will be released by then, or should I plan on a different campaign idea?

12. Targas says:

Is Shards of the Broken Sky still planned for a release in 2018? Any update?

• Colleen Riley says:

The text is finished, the art and maps are in progress, and it’ll be released on pre-order in 2018 as we said previously.

13. PIERLUIGI VISPI says:

Yes it’s been five years and nothing so far. Five years…a very long time. I understand that few people are working on 13th Age products but this is unacceptable. The game and all of us fans deserve a definite answer. Please tell us how really the things are, we’ll deal with that then. Thanks

14. Pierluigi Vispi says:

How about Shards of the Broken Sky? Its release is imminent as anticipated or once again postponed?

15. Michael says:

Thank the Lord this adventure is finally out. One piece of advice though: Don’t release long delayed and long anticipated products on April 1st. When I first saw the announcement, I was filled with terror that it was just another April Fool’s Day prank on the internet. Relief soon followed once I downloaded the PDF, but that time in-between was very stressful!

16. Christian says:

Woo, I’m excited for this adventure! I already ordered it and am reading through the PDF to get a head-start. Is there a place that we can give feedback? :)

17. Sarah S Kelley says:

When will it be available as a pdf only?

• Mika Talley says:

It will be available at the same time as the print book. We are expecting it to be ready late summer.

18. Graham Wilkes says:

Hi Simon

Is there a chance of some advanced copies at the UKGE at the end of the month.

Graham

• Mika Talley says:

Hello Graham! Thanks for reaching out. Shards of the Broken Sky is still in printing and won’t be available until late Summer. Have a great convention!